Favorite AWI Blog's 2014

VolleyFireVSFwargames

New for 2013 new adventures 1895 and Beyond
http://volleyfirevsfgames.blogspot.com/

Henry has introduced me to a new set of rules look here for new tales of these adventures.
IHNM - In Her Majesty's Name by Osprey

Volleyfiresupplydepot

My newly updated blog for supplies and painting tips gleaned from the web and my general surplus miniature selling page click on the link to take you to the new blog.
http://volleyfiresupplydepot.blogspot.com/

I now have joined the electronic age and have paypal and EBay auctions.

VolleyFireOverseas

This is a blog I set up to chronicle my adventures in wargaming overseas in Scotland in 2011 and to continue following particular games overseas that I enjoyed with my new friends in Edinburgh. I look forward to finally updating this with more pics soon.

http://volleyfireoverseas.blogspot.com/

Napoleonic Campaigning in Italy

Napoleonic Campaigning in Italy
Les Grognards Blog "The sabre that Napoleon used at Marengo"

Napoleon's Drum and his Marshals

Napoleon's Drum and his Marshals
Napoleon Mulling over his battle plan

Napoleon reflecting by Iron Mitton

Napoleon reflecting by Iron Mitton
Quiet before the battle

Napoleon the morning of waterloo

More Iron Mitton Cartoons

More Iron Mitton Cartoons
Knock - Knock

Iron Mitton Cartoons

Iron Mitton Cartoons

Civility in wargaming

Civility in wargaming

Saturday, January 7, 2012

More Black Powder! ATPD!

Well got in a little Quick game of Black Powder agian today - It was pleasant getting in some gaming time on a Saturday.  Steve came over again as well as my friend Daniel. I basically umpired and taught the system/modified per my nuisances. Using the SEWSC turn sequence with a bit of tweaking myself - The game ran rather smoothly. Since I wanted to try this out - I used my amended turn sequence and amendments - we rolled for units seprately but placed markers separetly for brigade orders - also the more I play it the more the rules (make sense) apparently you roll for melee saves on kills as well - I am simply applying the rally movement from CLS as FB 1, FB2 or rout move - it worked well (the melee support rule I still think needs tweaking) Made a couple mistakes - proximity moves are optional you may chose to or you may try to move more in the regular move phase. ( I prefer the locked in tactical phase - once your engaged it should be difficult to get out.)Because we only had the two players and limited troops (2 Brigades Infantry and a Brigade of Cav each - although the French Cav brigade never made it on the table (Poor maps of Russia) Russians were all stubborn and russian Hussars were bloodthirsty - We only had one blunder move the whole game - Daniel rolled for his 4 gun French Battery and it had to retreat one move almost all off the table.

French were taking advantage of the Russians inability to get his commands moving - The French maintained control of the village and the vital bridgehead until the end of the game. A Daring set of Charges by the Russians Using Cossacks as Shock Cavalry caught a French unit forming square in disorder. This was followeded by Flank and rear charges as the  Cossacks and a smaller unit of Prussian Cav caught both Batteries deployed facing the wrong directions.

The Russian Holy Icon gave the russians a major morale boost at critical times. pics to follow. In spite of some mistakes on the part of the umpire (too many dice for meleeing a BUA) Disordered Cossack retreating past a French square (does that count as an advance?) Although the Russian medium guns finally got deployed (next to a french square facing the wrong direction) and never fired a shot the whole game.

The French 4 gun battery caught the Cossacks mentioned earlier with enfilade fire and only killed 2 Cossacks which were saved in the morale save - Only mistake I made was letting the Russian Cossacks on Morale saves from hits roll as 4+, when they should have been 3+ or 2+.

Anyway finally getting a handle on the rules and the nuances of some it makes since although I still prefer a clearer winner on the melees and support only counting for break test rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment